Only a few years after founding the company, Carl Hepp set a milestone in the history of exclusive gastronomy: his development of the silver plating process in 1871 laid the foundations for the company’s expansion. “Gebrüder Hepp 90” or “hotel silver” conquered the market and over time replaced products made of pure silver. HEPP established itself as a supplier to upmarket hotels around the world, but by the end of the 1920s, the flourishing business began to suffer the effects of the global economic crisis. The Frank family took over the company in 1931 and brought it back from the brink, although the factory was completely destroyed in an air raid during the Second World War.
The economic upturn of the 1950s allowed the brand to regain its former strength. By the end of the 1970s, the Pforzheim workshops had become too small and a new building, the HEPP 1980, was constructed in neighboring Birkenfeld. In 1988 the then WMF AG recognized the potential of the brand and integrated the company into its group. Despite grave losses, production recommenced only two weeks later in leased premises. Since 2006, the HEPP brand has formed part of proHeq GmbH, a subsidiary of the WMF Group, and is one of the most successful brands in the Group. In 2013 this success brand celebrated its 150th anniversary.